Wednesday, 11 December 2013

Designing wheelchair and cooking for orphaned children in Nha Tinh Thuong Diu Dat (Nuturing for children orphanage) - Reflection

Date: September 8, 2013 to December 12, 2013

Place:  Nha Tinh Thuong Diu Dat Orphanage in Tran nao streets

Time: 08:30 to 10:30am

Semester 1

It was actually my first time to do this service activity and to visit in Nha Tinh Thuong Diu Dat Orphanage to help the children. When I entered this orphanage, I could not see anyone except some priests and a cat. Therefore, I tried to go outside and wait my friends and supervisor. However, one of orphans called me in Vietnamese, saying come here. I knew that this kid was boring. Later on, another kid called me to play with them. These kids gave me the food to eat because they thought I was hungry. I saw a football in front of the wall. So I told them 'Let's play football' in Vietnamese. They really enjoyed playing football, especially when shooting in the goal. After that, I sat on the bench to take a rest, but a kid, named Thim, who wore blue T-shirts and blue shorts said, 'Anh ay, cong em.'  On the quote, 'cong' means to carry someone on the back. Ultimately, I carried him on my back and ran all the way around. Thim was so excited. I then found a bench and sat on it to have a rest. However, Thim found me and said, 'Anh ay cong em.' In my mind, I actually did not want it but I couldn't reject it, as he was a orphan. So I carried him on my back. It was ten o' clock, which meant my activity was now finished. Before I leave, I said good bye to Thim. Then I got on my car to return my home. Later on, Thim started to cry, because he thought I am like his neighbour.
Few weeks later, I gave some snacks and drinks to the orphans. They really loved them. I also visited a kitchen and made Vietnamese foods, which were beef noodle soup and spring roll for orphans. It was really interesting and I really like to cook. After that, My supervisor and I saw an old wheelchair and we decided to manufacture to a new model. Before that we made a plan; measure the width and length of holder, width and length of the woods, additional objects for new model and materials for desk. Making a plan for manufacturing a new model of wheelchair was not as easy as I expected. Unfortunately, we are not on the manufacturing stage yet, but we hope to finish our projects on next semester.
To conclude, I was glad to see the kids in Nha Tinh Thuong Diu Dat Orphanage, becoming friendly with each other.











No comments:

Post a Comment